I love to look at the display cases in the candy shops at the Disney parks. They are filled with so many wonderful treats that I never know which one to choose. One item that I love but never buy is caramel apples. I love everything about a caramel apple except the stickiness and the mess that eating an apple on a stick makes. But the taste…Yum!
The Disney confectioners have now made a caramel apple that I can’t wait to try. The English Toffee Gourmet Apple is dipped in chocolate, dipped in caramel, covered in English toffee bits, and drizzled with more chocolate. Awesome! But it is still a sticky juicy mess. What to do?
My answer is to enjoy it like I would a fancy dinner. You wouldn’t eat a fancy dinner while walking down the sidewalk trying to keep the mess off your clothes. Caramel apples should be savored. So here are five tips to help you enjoy every bit of your sweet treat.
5 ways to enjoy a Disney caramel apple:
1) Take a picture of it. These apples are works of art. Take a picture of it before, during, and after. The memories will last long after the taste does.
2) Sit down. These apples are big and juicy. To avoid making a mess as you try to walk and eat find a bench or even better a table and chair so you can take your time and focus on your treat.
3) Slice it up. If you are at a place where you can get a knife then slice off pieces to enjoy. The caramel likes to slide around and if you try to take a bite out of the smooth round apple you may lose the coating. Cutting slices off also keeps the mess under control.
4) Use lots of napkins. Your hands are going to be sticky. Your face is going to be sticky. Stock up on napkins before you start so you can enjoy the treat without worrying about cleaning up.
5) Share an apple with friends. These treats are huge and there is a lot of variety. Why not share them with your friends. If you use the four previous tips you’ll have more than just an afternoon treat, you’ll have a great memory.
So, go ahead. Try a caramel apple. It’s a fruit, right? And as you know an apple a day keeps the doctor away. However, I don’t promise that these treats will keep the dentist away. Happiness squared.
Goofy Food: Even if you are not visiting a Disney park soon you can enjoy caramel apples at home. Spoonful.com has a nice basic recipe to get you started. Remember the skies the limit when it comes to toppings. I think chocolate, caramel, English toffee bits, and more chocolate is perfect. What combination would you try?